« When you turn 65, you deserve a good bike! | Main | Yes, we want a yard that looks like the jungle!!! »

Watering a Jungle takes Water!!! Plan A and B and C didn't work so hot! BUT...PLAN "D" knocks our socks off!!!

In the last entry, you saw how we planted over 130 trees, shrubs, flowing plants, and little guys that will grow to be big guys, etc...

We knew we had water near the surface here, and were confident that we could get it to water all of our new jungle...

As the title to this entry spells out...our confidence faltered a tad, when Plans A, B and C did not deliver.

We had been reading up on how to drill our own well in this excellent website:

http://www.drillyourownwell.com/index.htm

We believed that our upper crust of soil was so tough, that we could use the method described below  to get the water we needed.

Take a look at the progress we made and how we did it...

Here I am sawing out the teeth of our soon to be made drill...


Closer look...

The plan is to run water into the black hoses, while rotating the drill, thus bringing up the tailings and going deeper with each stroke...

Attaching the handle...


Fernando made this handle to his usual high standards...

We weren't sure how our home-made drill would work, but we liked the contraption...

It helped to have these two ready made "burros" from earlier jobs...

This first hole was Plan A, and it went very smoothly.  The guys made a lot of progress, but it turned out, way too fast!  The website warns not to go too fast, but the guys were hyped!

The going was so good, that the handle had to moved up the shaft in short order.

It was inevitable that we would strike sand, and that we would go too fast, and the website predicted just that.  Within 15 minutes, our drill was so stuck, that all of our leveraging and pulling did not budge it at all!  We got a second chance by having the guys dig it out with a post hole digger and a lot of muscle.  

Plan B worked a little better, but this time we were a lot deeper when the drill froze up, and we abandoned our metal drill bit and pipe.

 

Our Plan C involved digging down to plant a 10 foot long 6" diameter pipe into the ground to prevent the sand from seizing our drill.  Here is Santo starting the hole...

We now began to rock, as our new drill made steady progress, and we increased the water pressure available for bringing up tailings--mostly sand.

 

And...we hit water...lots of it!  Check out the 3 meter mark on the drill!

 

We let everything sit until after lunch, and then went out to inspect our new hole...we had standing water in the pipe about 30 inches deep!  Yippee!

The big word in well production is recharge rate, or how fast do you get more water, if you draw down what you have...

Here I am showing off our water being pumped out by a one horsepower pump.

The only way that the water could recharge was through the bottom of the pipe--the sides of that pipe were not perforated.   Sadly, we were only to see that wonderful water for about 20 seconds...then nothing...we had pumped the pipe dry...

Without varying sizes of Well screens, and a solidifying agent for our sand, we were stuck.  We had water, but we could not take advantage of it.

By now, we were all pretty discouraged...I did not want to poke around in Guayaquil looking for the correct size pipes and other chemicals...so what to do?   There was no way that we could water all of these new plants and trees by using water furnished by our inadequate community water company.

It was then,  that Isidro,  our live in helper, saved the day...He proposed going to Plan "D", which stated most simply was,  that they would all grab shovels and just dig the well!!!

I protested, but Roxanne and I finally relented as we had no other alternative.

Here is Isidro making the first few whacks...The soil was just like concrete...


Finally, Isidro and Fernando hit water!

Here is a shot of Roxanne squirting the new plants with the production of water we have found...It turns out that she could water the whole yard with the water and the recharge rate.  We were thrilled that the one HP pump put out such a stream of water, that she could do the whole front yard (about 140 plants and trees), before the level dropped down close to our check valve.

Of course, just because you have a hole with water in it does not mean you are done...no way...you have to make it permanent, or it will just fill up with sand.  So,  here we see Antonio placing the first boulders down under the water to keep the sand at bay...He also cements them.

The $15 pulley brought up a ton of dirt, and is now lowering boulders...

Here Antonio is adding the first course of mortar blocks...

These guys did such a great job, that I wanted to put in both photos...

This morning Fernando and Isidro built the top for the well.  It splits to open on one side for maintenance, while the pump will have its own little box to call home on the other side. 

This afternoon, we wire the pump to its own breaker and switch.  

Roxanne and I were excited to water the whole property four times this weekend.  We were finally advised to quit it!!!  The plants don't want or need anymore water right now!

We are hyped that we now have as much water as it will take to keep the place looking pretty darn good during our hot season...and we don't have to ask the water company for a drop!!!

Posted on Mon, November 4, 2013 at 07:11PM by Registered CommenterBob & Roxanne | CommentsPost a Comment

Reader Comments

There are no comments for this journal entry. To create a new comment, use the form below.

PostPost a New Comment

Enter your information below to add a new comment.

My response is on my own website »
Author Email (optional):
Author URL (optional):
Post:
 
Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <code> <em> <i> <strike> <strong>